Woodbury grade school

Relive old memories

Re: Woodbury grade school

Postby Sheldon Weaver » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:57 pm

I remember in first grade, I brought a Knife to school and Mrs. Witmer kept it untill school was over and then gave it back. what would you think would happen to a kid today that did that? Do you remember when Lu lu brought a bird in a bag to school then let it go in class?
Sheldon Weaver

Postby sebbie » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:02 pm

Lou Ann Logue?
sebbie

Postby Sheldon Weaver » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:49 pm

Yes
Sheldon Weaver

Postby sebbie » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:46 pm

Mrs. Witmer let me bring my dog, Bananas, to school one day as a reward for stopping crying after I forgot to pack my lunch on a tomato soup day. (This was a real crisis). Bananas created havoc in the classroom. She kept barking and then when Miss Robinson (the classroom aide) was reading us a story, Bananas jumped up on her and tore her dress. Does anyone remember Miss Robinson--I think she got married and became Mrs. Griffith. Or maybe it was the other way around. Anyhow, she was young and pretty and wore black leather gloves in the winter. I guess Mrs. Witmer didn't make adult-size mittens.
sebbie

Postby Cindy Schaner » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:17 pm

Bananas WAS bananas! He bit me on the butt once and ripped my shorts. That dog was a maniac!
Cindy Schaner

Postby Ray Mentzer » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:59 am

Hi Becky, and welcome! I remember you from a long time ago. I was reading your post and I can't believe we never thought to use cafeteria trays as sleds! That kind of mischief was right up my alley in those days; I feel cheated! I had forgotten about Red Rover, we used to play that a lot, along with dodgeball. Some of my classmates can correct me on this if I'm wrong, but I think they had discontinued air-raid drills by the time we came along in '66.
Ray Mentzer

Postby sebbie » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:33 pm

Hi, Becky,
How were you lucky enough to get the lunch trays out of the school to use for sleds? That sounds fun! The other day on the Weather Channel they were giving safety tips on sledding. #1 was to wear a helmet(???????) and another was to ride a sled that you can steer. I guess that leaves a lunch tray out. We're lucky we survived those days although I know there was a lot less traffic then.
Remember how the teachers used to sit at their table near the door. You had to stop to have your tray inspected before you could leave. The empty paper milk cartons provided a place to hide your unwanted egg salad sandwich. But they came after the little glass bottles of white and chocolate milk. When you emptied your tray, you had to scrape your plates with the rubber spatula into a big metal can. As a teacher, did you ever have to be part of the Cafeteria Gestapo?

We did have good home-cooked meals at Woodbury Elementary thanks to Sylvia Boor and Mrs. Frederick and......can anyone think of any of the other lunch ladies?
sebbie

Postby sebbie » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:35 pm

A few more memories of grade school -- the teacher doling out a glob of white paste (not glue)to use for art projects, being given a thick pencil, blue or green, at the beginning of the school year (in first or second grade)...you had to guard it with your life because you were only given one pencil. The smell of mimeographed papers, fresh and warm from the machine. Making flowers out of Kleenex.
sebbie

Postby Sheldon Weaver » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:49 pm

Do you remember the film strips? they would always skip and flick and how about the over head projector?
Sheldon Weaver

Postby sebbie » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:51 pm

Yes, we always looked forward to seeing the film projector being wheeled into the class. And the bigger the reel the longer the break from bookwork. I remember a lot them were sponsored by the Johnstown Tribune Democrat--they started and ended with clips of boys with buzz cuts delivering the paper. Yes, I guess overhead projectors are a thing of the past, too.
sebbie

PreviousNext

Return to Remember When?