Woodbury grade school

Relive old memories

Woodbury grade school

Postby Sheldon Weaver » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:21 pm

Do you remeber?
How wet mittens smell on the steam radiator, the tast milk out of a glass bottle with a paper straw and a cardboard lid, playing lost in space in the bushes on the concrete slab, rubber boots with metal clips, mud pies, misses Metzler walking down the hall, having your desk dumped out in class, hearing my mother read Heidy to the class. Just some of the things I think of. How about you?
Sheldon Weaver

Re: Woodbury grade school

Postby Ray Mentzer » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:36 pm

God, the wet mittens on the radiator thing takes me back. I remember your mom reading Heidi and Mrs. Metzler and her pitch pipe. "Ta-tata-ta-ta-ta" (she would slap her hand with each "ta").

I was a total Lost in Space junkie! I remember playing that; everyone always wanted to be the robot: "Crush, kill, destroy". Someone also always wanted to be Dr. Smith, was it you? The only thing that might have aced Lost in Space was The Wild Wild West. Remember how we were all in love with the knife in the toe of the boot thing? I still watch it sometimes, although it has kind of lost it's luster since I now have better gear than he did!
Last edited by Ray Mentzer on Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ray Mentzer

Postby Cindy Schaner » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:37 pm

When I think of woolen mittens, I think of Mrs. Witmer! Does everyone remember how she knitted a pair of mittens for each and every child in her class each year for Christmas? Mine were green and white striped and I had them for years and years. I treasured those mittens and my thoughts of her. She was a sweet woman, except for the time she took my necklace away from me because I wouldn't stop putting it in my mouth! Over the years, the mittens finally got lost but I still have the memory!
Cindy Schaner

Postby sebbie » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:58 pm

My mittens were orange and yellow striped and, sadly, I don't have mine anymore, either.
I forgot about metal clips on boys boots. Remember the book bags we used to carry. The girls usually had a strap and the boys had a handle. My first one was red corduray. Remember Flutaphones. Mary made me the nicest flutaphone bag. It was green and had "Sebbie" embroidered in light yellow thread. I can still see it. I remember how Mrs. Metzler smelled--she always wore that strong perfume. I loved hearing Heidi read to us by your mom, Sheldon, and I still remember a lot of the songs that she taught us. Great memories! Except when Clyde Byers had to come and throw that sawdust stuff on puke and sweep it up. And when I would tell Cindy that someone threw up in my class, she would always ask me "What color was it?"
sebbie

Postby Sheldon Weaver » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:29 am

Sebbie,
I love your memories. they make me think of so many more.
Sheldon Weaver

Postby Cindy Schaner » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:03 am

Sabrina, I love your memories, too! Especially the one where I ask what color the vomit was. I knew I always had a eye for color...now I see where it all started! LOL
Cindy Schaner

Postby Sheldon Weaver » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:32 pm

D
Last edited by Sheldon Weaver on Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sheldon Weaver

Postby Sheldon Weaver » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:37 pm

I like when Rayme got tired of school he just went home. they where always looking for him. one time he hid in the air duct. that was cool.
Sheldon Weaver

Postby Ray Mentzer » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:11 pm

I remember the day in third grade when I went home. The recess bell rang and everyone went back in the building; I left through a hole in the fence. Mom wasn't home and I was kicked back drinking a Pepsi and watching Jeopardy with my shoes off when the banging at the door started. I looked out and it was Pappy King. I figured he'd go away if I didn't answer it, but he just kept banging. Like an idiot, I finally answered the door. He grabbed me, put me in that big pink boat he used to drive (Caddy? Chrysler?) and drove me back to school. They weren't too happy about that one.

I completely forgot about the mysterious "talk" that we weren't allow to attend. If only I didn't know now what I didn't know then...
Ray Mentzer

Postby sebbie » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:37 pm

Watch what you say about Pappy King--I was related to him. Was he the "truant officer"? Can you imagine someone doing that now. I remember he had a big car but I don't remember the color or make.
Last edited by sebbie on Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sebbie

Next

Return to Remember When?