Snow, snow, snow

Relive old memories

Snow, snow, snow

Postby Pamela Hargrove » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:08 pm

Does anyone else remember how we used to get SO much snow and huge snow drifts that about the only way to get around was if you had a snowmobile? What happened to all that snow or did I just get bigger than the drifts now?! How about Old Mahoney's store, Guyers and the M&M restaurant where you could get an egg sandwich and a milk for less than a dollar and still have a little money left over to buy some penny candy? FLYING down over what is now State Street hill on our bikes and not being scared?! That was just nuts! I remember Norris Nosey and waiting for the year we could FINALLY go "down over the hill" at the grade school! I remember Cindy Mentzer and I decided that during a fire drill it would be much fun to go play on the merry-go-round, even after being specifically told NOT to go to the playground, and getting in trouble! I remember hot pants/mini skirts and white high boots that my mother dressed us in that looked ridiculous - AND to boot, she was the first mother to march into the school and complain that the girls should NOT be able to wear slacks and that dresses should be inforced....then stuck us in those hooker outfits! As I look back, I'm starting to consider counseling....better remember more later!
Pamela Hargrove

Re: Snow, snow, snow

Postby Sheldon Weaver » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:15 pm

Hi Pam,
yes, I remember the snow, they did not close the school untill it was measured in feet. Drifts where over my head and snow in the lot was higher than the garage. We only had cars to go in the snow you put on studs and weight in the trunk and went right through the drifts. Pam I did not think that you where that old, that you could remember the M&M store, I know Rayme does, he almost made it back across the road. Martha had the best pies. I wish I could have seen you in that outfitt. I remember the snow made everything quiet. No road noise. All the houses looked warm. Such a great place to grow up. I'll say more later.
Sheldon Weaver

Postby Ray Mentzer » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:04 pm

I remember listening for the school closings on WKMC and how every school in the county would be closed except ours. There had to be several feet before they let us out. What year was it, maybe 1974, that it snowed like 5 feet in a few days and we were out for over a week. I went sled riding about 18 hours a day.

Pam, I remember your go-go outfits! I think I remember you had wigs to go with them?
Ray Mentzer

Postby sebbie » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:51 pm

I remember sledriding down the hill towards Over's farm. That curve around Stepsianos' house was wicked.
Pam, remember wearing polyester pants with the foot straps UNDERNEATH your dress in winter. Grandma always made me wear double T-shirts in winter.
sebbie

Postby Cindy Schaner » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:09 am

I remember snow drifts along the road where you turn to Martinsburg that were like mountains! We have pictures of Ray and I standing on the top of them. Pamela, I don't remember running off to the Merry-Go-Round when were were out on fire drill, but it really doesn't surprise me. I've probably always had a bit of a problem with authority and the need for doing things my way! Speaking of snow, remember snowmobile suits and moonboots? Weren't they the bomb back then? We could stay out for hours in that stuff!
Cindy Schaner

Postby Pamela Hargrove » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:48 pm

Good memory Raymond! I do remember the wigs, of course! After cutting our long hair off herself and botching the job a bit, I think my mother thought this was a "fashionable" replacement! We had to wear our hair all teased up and long side curls and way too adult for our young ages! Everyone made fun of us but we were forced into that stuff! Sheldon, that wasn't a "good look" in the hotpants and mini skirts - I'm sure it's NOT something you'd have wanted to see! Does anyone still have their flute-a-phone? I think they call them "recorders" now for some reason. I kept mine for the longest time, mouth piece all chewed up and disgusting!
Pamela Hargrove

Postby sebbie » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:30 pm

The M & M restaurant--I remember going there a lot for popsicles--What's the name of the twin popsicles-they had a white and blue wrapper with red dots on them? I think they tasted better back then. I remember holding Cindy up and over the side of the freezer at Guyer's to root thru the different flavors. Rainbow was the best. And also Banjo's--they were like Eskimo pies. Martha Bolger would always call my grandmother in the summer when she had teaberry ice cream in because it was my grandmother's favorite. We would hike on down to the restaurant and bring back several half gallons. Maybe someday there will be an old folks' home on the main street of Woodbury and we can sit on the front porch in our rocking chairs and reminisce. Cindy and Marsie will still probably want to play Truth or Dare. Hey, Sheldon, that's an idea for the funeral home after you retire!
sebbie

Postby Ray Mentzer » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:41 pm

I liked Captain Crunch bars. The chocolate ones were good, but the strawberry ones were the bomb. Rodney and I used to go hunting pop bottles all the time so we could turn them in to get sweets. IIRC, you got 2 cents for a regular bottle and 5 cents for the big ones. We looked everywhere; we even got some out of the creek one time that had algae and stuff all over them, but Charlie Guyer wouldn't take them.

Why not have a combination old folks home/funeral home? Then, after we keel over, they can just wheel us in the back and lay us out.
Ray Mentzer

Postby sebbie » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:32 pm

Good idea!
sebbie

Postby Ray Mentzer » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:56 am

This was taken about '66 or '67, I think, out on Rt. 866. I think it's the year Cindy was talking about.

snow.jpg
snow.jpg (164.54 KiB) Viewed 67818 times
Ray Mentzer

Next

Return to Remember When?